In order to use Carista, you must have an OBD adapter. This is a separate piece of hardware that you plug into your vehicle’s OBD2 port so that Carista can communicate with your vehicle.
Introducing the Carista OBD adapter!
We are proud to announce that we now have our own Carista OBD adapter! This adapter is guaranteed to work with the Carista app, including its manufacturer-specific customization and advanced-diagnostics features.
The Carista OBD adapter is compatible with both Android and iOS (iPhone/iPad/iPod). It uses Bluetooth 4.0 LE (Low Energy) and therefore is not restricted from iOS like the generic Bluetooth 2.x adapters out there. Furthermore, the Carista OBD adapter uses high-quality electronics that make your connection easier to establish and stable during communication.
Note that buying our OBD adapter does NOT mean you get all the functionality in the Carista app for free. The Pro Package (which enables unlimited customizations and manufacturer-specific diagnostics for supported models) still costs $19.99 USD as an in-app purchase.
Where to buy / Availability
The Carista OBD adapter is now available on Amazon.com! Within a few weeks, we also plan to start selling on Amazon.co.uk and other Amazon subsidiaries across the world. Thanks for your patience.
- The same Carista OBD adapter device works with both Android and iOS. What’s even better is that it does NOT take up your WiFi connection, so you can still have Internet connectivity while using this adapter.
- Works with any iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch running iOS 8 or newer.
- Works with any Android 2.3 or newer phone or tablet that supports Bluetooth (note: Bluetooth 4.0 LE support is NOT required; Bluetooth 2.1 is fine on Android).
- The Carista OBD adapter supports the ELM327 v1.4 standard and works with other ELM327-compatible apps on Android too, besides the Carista OBD2 app (e.g. Torque, DashCommand, etc.). Note that on iOS, this adapter does NOT work with other apps besides Carista OBD2. This is due to the proprietary Bluetooth LE connection that’s required on iOS.
Using the Carista app with other (generic) OBD devices
While we recommend the Carista OBD adapter, our app works fine with generic ELM327 devices too, as long as they properly comply with the ELM327 v1.4 standard (or newer). You need a Bluetooth ELM327 device for Android or a WiFi ELM327 device for iOS. Here are a few things to note, though:
- Many generic “ELM327″ devices are fake/defective and don’t properly support the ELM327 v1.4 standard (especially ones that claim to be v2.1!). They may work fine for basic OBD2 stuff, but they do not support the manufacturer-specific communication that Carista performs.
- “OBDLink” devices don’t support our customizations and advanced diagnostics because they use the older ELM327 v1.3 standard, whereas Carista needs at least v1.4. The manufacturer has told us that they have no immediate plans to update.
- Other proprietary devices don’t work either – because they’re proprietary and don’t allow standard ELM327 communication
- USB or other wired devices are not supported. WiFi devices are not supported on Android, and generic Bluetooth devices are not supported on iOS.